Thursday, December 17, 2009

Farewell to Robbie


Over the years I have lost contact with many friends due to my rather nomadic lifestyle. Radio tends to be a bit that way. But since joining Facebook about 6 months ago I have regained contact with so many people who I haven’t thought about in years.

When I enlist a new friend I squirrel my way through their friends in the hope of finding someone else. I’m also now getting news from all corners of the planet - some of it not so good.

Just this week an old 4GG contact informed me that Robbie Snowden had passed away. The irony is, for the first time in years I had been thinking about Robbie.

This year I changed career paths, moving into newspapers and Robbie was also in newspapers on the Gold Coast, so he came to mind. I wondered how he was going, what it was like at his newspaper and I thought on my next Gold Coast holiday I’d look him up. It doesn’t pay to put things off.

Robbie was much too young to pass, but he has had a colourful and full life, going from pop star in the 60’s, to radio, and finally promotions in the press. I know there’ll be some wonderful stories at his memorial.

He was a great guy and will be missed by many - even those who have lost touch.

2 comments:

  1. A wonderful post Stu and it really emphasises the importance to say g'day to someone or drop a quick line to that person when you think of them.

    It must be 25 years since we had contact, and likewise, I have wondered 'what ever happened to Stu Baguley - wonder where he is nowadays'. Hereon, I promise to myself that I will follow through and make contact to special people who randomly bounce in to my thoughts and who etched wonderful memories in my life. Facebook really is a terrific medium for reconnecting old mates.

    RIP our dear friend Robbie Snowden - enjoy rockin on from above.

    Linda Graham
    Gordon Park, Brisbane (former work colleague of Bags and Robbie - 4GG in the early '80s)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one, Stu;
    You're right: life's too short to lose touch the way we do. I've known scores of hugely memorable people in my time in radio.. and on the agency scene. I often wonder what, where, why, and how. And with whom, and exactly how often...

    ReplyDelete